Purlins suported on crumbling party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbi here, so be gentle.
Bit of background first...

Ive lived in my house (old mid terrace, with high celings, estimate age of propery 100+ years) for the last 3 years.
The layout of the house is front room, staircase (which splits the house), kitchen at the rear. Upper floor is bedrrom at front, bathroom & small back bedroom.

On the initial survey by the mortgage company, it came back ok, but they listed as "part of the roof structure in need of additonal support".
The house has had previous evidence of minor subsidence, but its from a long time ago, concured by the report.
Ive had the house plastered 3 years ago when i moved in, and dont have any cracks at all apeared.
Never been able to gain access to the attic as the ceilings as soooo high up. But recently bought a long ladder, and ventured up there into the attic.

Ive taken a few pics as im consurned about the Purlings, and more importantly how there supported on the party wall/s at either end.

As you can see from the pics, looking at the party wall, and where the Purling is resting on it (and the purlings coming through from next door), the brick work has nearly all crumbled, and cracked away, i seems as though its only being supported on a tiny edge of morter?? !! :eek: .

The party walls throughout the house and to next door on both sides, are all single brick.

The chinmeny stack doesent appear to be in much better condiction with a large pile of brick dust at the base.

My questions are...
How safe is all this (i guess its been like that for years??).
How easy is it to fix the Purlings?.
An an estimate of costs if i got a bulider involved?.

I really dont want to re-roof the whole buliding, and ive no intention of using the space, i just want it to be safe. It must have been like that for many many years, but am i just being a bit pedantic??

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers, Greg :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not umcommon to this kind of thing.. Someone has obviously had a go at it in the past....(Badly) It's an easy job and should not cost a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back