Removal of wraparound dormer from hipped roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

We recently moved into a place that had a wraparound dormer poking out of the back of the roof.

It was a DIY job a long time ago (not by me) and it's ugly and poorly done, so I am considering having it removed and the roof reverted to its original state (just a hipped roof with gable on RHS).

I was up in the loft last night and noticed that since it's a wraparound dormer it projects upwards through the hip rafters. That is, the rear 2 hip rafters have been cut about halfway up and I guess the roof load is now supported by the uprights that form the dormer.

I'm interested in the feasibility of removing the dormer and reverting the roof to its previous state - is it possible to splice new hip rafters into place to meet the ridge board?

Also - would this require any building control approval? (Not gonna do it myself, just curious).

Ta

Sponsored Links
Thanks nose... what about the feasibility - would the hip rafters need ripping out completely or is it possible to splice new ones in-situ?

Trying to get an idea of complexity.. because of course that will determine cost.

Thanks

Thanks nose... what about the feasibility - would the hip rafters need ripping out completely or is it possible to splice new ones in-situ?

It would depend upon how well you connect everything together and whether the complexity of such a connection would deem it more economical to just stick in a new hip blade.

Some may argue on this very forum that the hip is there to just keep the rafters in position and that all the thrust is taken up by the jacks and taken down to the wall plate.

If this theory is correct then a hip could potentially be made up of several individual segments, between jacks. Ho hum.

Sponsored Links
If this theory is correct then a hip could potentially be made up of several individual segments, between jacks. Ho hum.
Except it's still got to be able to support itself in bending...

I reckon pretty much any old connection between old and new would work to support the hip's own weight and the axial load from the jacks...but I also reckon most engineers would cover their arses and specify a new member.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back