Repair of roof after removal of chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old chimney on the edge of the roof at the rear which has not been used for many years. (pics below, hopefully).

The breast in the kitchen was removed before we moved in 13 years ago and as we are now planning on re-doing the bathroom I am hoping to remove the rest of it in there and the capped stack which is crumbling and getting to be a danger!

Removing it myself is not a problem but my question is about the repair of the roof afterwards.
Would I have to strip back the width of the stack right up to the roof line and re-lay (or is it even a full roof re-lay? Either way I would have to get a roofer in for that), or is there another way - I don't much care how it would look as long as it is weatherproof until I can afford to have a new roof put on!

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
You only need to strip the roof a couple of courses or slates all the way round.
This is to allow you to replace any rafters missing, overlap the membrane and stagger the joints a bit on the laths.
Then you can replace/fill in with slates.

NB, your membrane/eaves support trays should overlap into the gutter. Ensure your higher membrane overlaps onto your lower membrane.
It'll also improve your footing while you're working.

strip 3 rows above chimney and 3 slates either side take chimney down below roof fit new spar and cut old laths back to half way over nearest spars either side fit new felt over chimney void lappin each side and underneath felt above fit new laths in line with old ones and fit slates in line with old ones once the roof is opened up it will become simple just copy whats already there hope this helps :)

The stack does not look that wide, and so once you reduce it to just below the top of the rafters, then you can just felt and lath it without any new trimmers or rafter sections

But your new felt will need to lap to the next rafter past the side of the stack so you will need to take off a section of slates to each side

I would not bother with an eaves tray for just this one bit if there is none on the rest of the roof. Just do it the same as existing until you get the rest of the roof done

Sponsored Links
you can ignore the advice about felt /membranes if the rest of your roof does not have any.

That's great, thank you so much for all the help guys.

I feel a lot more confident about it now. :)

One other thing: how do I get the surrounding tiles off?
Do I need a slate ripper?

they are slates and yes ideally a slate ripper you have a broken slate further up that needs replacing so it maybe worth investing. If you dont have one you can use a hack saw blade and slide it under and cut the nail, also start at the highest point were you intend to take off slates and it will reveal the nails for the one below.

they are slates

Yep, not sure why I said tiles, lol

also start at the highest point were you intend to take off slates and it will reveal the nails for the one below.

That's a good point, thanks.

I'm guessing I will also need some hooks to secure the uppermost row of slates when I re-lay them? (and for the broken ones you mentioned).

you can just use a bit of lead for a strap 6"x1" roughly and when you are putting your last slates in turn the lead over to hold the slate up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back