Replacing gutters Fascias need doing too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am considering repolacing all the guutering and downpipes at mum's house myself. I have listed all the squareline plastic piping shoes and brackets etc I will need (already exists except prefer white instead of black this time) and have come to around £320. Currently there is wood facias and soffits. Would prefer to just do the guttering right now and am not a fan of this uPVC capping that I have seen as I hear it may well rot the wood underneath. Looks nice though all white must admit. The wood fascias are in good nick but the old red Sadolin peeling a bit. No rot or breaks as far as I can see.

So my question is do I have to replace the fascias at the same time I do the guttering - i would like to have it all white with Sikkens or similar as the Sadolin last well with only maintenance of twice in 20years. The worry is if I install the guttering and downpipes now I will need to unscrew it all at a lter date and risk tearing this new white guttering by unscrewing? Or am I worrying too much?

I hear I can hire scaffolding? There are two sides of the property which are very high about 20feet so I can't manage on a ladder myself.

Thanks
Sunkat :confused: :)

Sponsored Links
If the facias are sound, why not leave them - but treat them properly and take any promises of 20 year paint warranty with a large pinch of salt.....
Use stainless screws and they'll come out again if need be, and do hire a mobile tower - so much safer.
John :)

Well if you are under no time limit take all the guttering down, sand down the paint work and repaint fascia's. Then buy your new guttering. plenty of places will hire you scaffolding.

Thank you both for your replies. I shall look into the mobile tower hire. Mum worried about me going up 20+ plus ladder. If the Sikkens is not great (I did use it on the softwood John Carr casement windows and it has peeled after 4 years! they need replacing now i feel) what would you recommend instead? Are the uPVC capping soffits and fascias any good in your experience? Can I jemmy off the old fascias and replace with (softwood hardwood) or is this a job for our builder perhaps. Wickes I have sourced for the guttering and downpipes and size 10 rust proof screws. I guess them and or Ridgeons will be the best bet.

Thanks
Sunkat

Sponsored Links
I do not like the white plastic stuff and if your fascia's are in good condition I would not take then off, as for what paint is best I would ask in the painting section.

As you realise, the plastic facia that simply caps over the timber original does look good, but if there are any nasties under there then its simply covering them which could come back to haunt later on.....
I've had really good results using a facia paint by International paints (Homebase).
Ripping off the old facias can be a little more involved than you think - you don't really want to disturb the roof slates or tiles if you can avoid it, and there is the crumbly underfelt to consider too.....if you do this, take great care to minimise any disturbance. A sound roof is one thats disturbed as little as possible! Soffit ventilation is also really sensible.
John :)

£320 for guttering and down pipes etc sound expensive to me, shop around, Google "Building Plastics" in your area, these places sell guttering and plastic facias etc, and they will be a lot cheaper.
Failing that you could order your guttering online from somewhere like Plastics Express, I used these for drainage fittings & pipes recently and the service is very good.

Your existing wood facias may look fine from the ground but it's the bit you can't see behind the guttering where the rot will be if there is any, so I would advise you to give them a good close up inspection before you decide what you are going to do.

Take a look on You tube, there are videos on there from company's showing facia replacement, this will give you an idea of the job involved.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bV7hyX9ElY&feature=related

Cheers.

Hello,

Thank you all three! I shall check out the painting section. Thanks again for the advice on the fascia removal. After further exploration online I have discovered that there is a risk of disturbing Asbestos felt. I do not wish to touch! So thanks for the heads up! Thank you lastly for the YouTube direction and the alternative express plastics route. Defintely worth exploring the market. I agree with the capping of the plastics though. Not an option for us here. Builder has since advised that it would rot the fascias. I would prefer to replace with either wood or uPVC and start from scratch. Have to check with Mother Bear. The Sadolin lasted well and that's on a south facing fascia aswell! So will definitely check out the International paints. I have used them before but for other things etc primers and plaster sealers on internal walls.

Many thanks for all your helps chaps! :)
Sunkat

As an installer of over 1000 houses in white UPVC take my advice and...

Sand down, treat and paint the wood. White plastic is horrible ;)

Thank you very much!

I shall heed the advice. Is it possible for me to sand and treat 'in situ'? Given that I will be up 20+ feet on a mobile scaffold? I ask this as obviously unlike yourself I am not a tradesman.

Sunkat

As an installer of over 1000 houses in white UPVC take my advice and...

Sand down, treat and paint the wood. White plastic is horrible ;)
The problem with painting anything these days is that the paint is rubbish and doesn't last, even the premium paints that are supposed to let the wood breath and flex with the wood and all that lot, start to fall off after year or two, what you need is a pot of paint with a big dose of lead in like it used to be.

So whilst I sort of agree with you that plastic isn't the best, it's a lot easier to give it a wipe over every year or so than to have to sand down & re paint.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back