Roof/Attic Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could cast an eye over a few photos I've taken, just to let me know the severity/urgency of repair work:

This shows the wood by the chimney stack. I've noticed some very very small leaks during the recent wild weather, with tiny amounts of water visible on the cement. It's trivial, but I'm wondering about the state of the wood? The stack isn't as wet as it looks!

This shows a rafter I'm a bit concerned about. You can see a split in the wood, starting bottom-right and covers most of the visible length. The angle of the split is almost directly away from the camera, i.e. 45deg looking at cross-section. Also, you can see the dark centre-line, this is an area of wood that is dry, but seems soft and brittle, as if it's rotted or something, but seems stable now.

This photo shows a small hole in the felt, there appears to be a small amount of (white) wet rot on the top surface, it doesn't seem to have affected the wood any deeper, although the colouring of the wood is darker for about a metre or so, which makes me think the wood might have been damp at some point?

This last photo shows damp wood in the corner (dead centre of photo). I probably know the cause of this, because the fascia board was partly blown off a couple of weeks ago, but should this concern me? I do intend to get it repaired, but I'm not in an urgent rush (yet).

Thanks,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Nothing looks too serious

The staining is minor and seems to dry off, the white is just salts not rot. Also the timber does appear to be treated

The split rafter seems to tie in with a change of colour of the timber so may have split on installation or on drying out. Just screw some ply to each side or a new piece of 4x2 500mm past the split

Nothing looks too serious

The staining is minor and seems to dry off, the white is just salts not rot. Also the timber does appear to be treated

The split rafter seems to tie in with a change of colour of the timber so may have split on installation or on drying out. Just screw some ply to each side or a new piece of 4x2 500mm past the split
Ok, thanks for the advice. I have a roofer living across the road who's going to take a look when he gets back from his hols, but I wanted to get some info in the meantime.

I'll do as you suggest with the 4x2.

What's the significance of the staining drying off? Is damage less likely to occur if this is the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back