Roof pitch for lean to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I am looking to put a pergola off my bunglelow , it will be approx 4.5 metres out , can you tell me what is the least fall I can get away with as I haven't a great deal of height to play with coming off the wall plate .
I have read that 15 degrees will be ok but how does that equate in drop from back to front , thanks Howy
Sorry forgot to say it will have shingle roof on it .

Sponsored Links
4.5m pergola? Who is designing such a behemoth?

Are you aware of the design criteria for an open structure of this size i.e. posts, rafters, wind and snow load, diagonal stiffening etc?

It will certainly be an interesting project.

Sponsored Links
Hi noseall , its just a lean to roof to cover a dining table area , do you think it needs an architect :LOL:

A pergola is normally open top, but see no reason why you can not put a lid on it.
To answer your question 15 degree on 4500 span the drop will be 1206 on the pitch line.150 for HAP and 225 for timber bressmur. Total approx 1580 below bottom of wooden bressmur and top apex of rafter on bungalow wall.
Have you considered an awning blind.
Regards oldun

Thanks oldun , I think that might have blown it out of the water , I have not got enough height to get 1.5m drop over that length it would be to low at the front , what to do :!:
Howy

Hi noseall , its just a lean to roof to cover a dining table area , do you think it needs an architect :LOL:
Once you stick a lid on this thing it becomes like a sail in the wind.

Also, a 4.5m span will need some pretty serious timbers to prevent sagging.

I don't believe it needs an architect but it does need some thought to prevent it becoming a lethal weapon in next years' gales or heavy snow.

As said, you would be better off with something retractable.

what to do :!:
Howy

As suggested. providing you have sufficient height above top of frames and underside of soffit then consider awning blind. You can get them up to 4000 in depth and up tp 6500 wide.

Or consider a flat EPDM, roof. Snow load will be no problem. C16 47x200 joists will suffice. Can not comment on wind load without knowing your post code, but can not see a major problem.
Regards oldun

Well thanks to this excelent site and the information i have gathered from you guys i am back to the drawing board , i cant get that pitch in the height and space i have , i had a chippy who i know look at it to see if he could come up with any ideas and he suggested flat roof with felt , cant say i am to keen on this but food for thought .
Thanks again.
Howy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back