Roofing felt / Underlay at the eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have moved into a new build some 6 months ago and have had problems with water running down the back of the guttering and causing damp exterior walls. I have noticed that there is no roofing felt / underlay extending into the guttering from the eaves. I raised this with the Developer (Shepherd Homes) who installed a 3 - 4 inch wide piece of felt across the eaves that blew out in the wind within hours of it being installed. I need to raise this with Premier Guarantee as clearly the Developer isnt interested in doing this properly. Can someone please advise how this should be installed? Should it be nailed to the first batten for example?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought felt support trays would have been used in a new build.

Sounds like the first course of tiles are not laid correctly and water is therefore running behind the gutter?

Even without any roofing felt water shouldn't do that. the tiles should overhang into the gutter sufficiently.

Easiest solution would be to install the eaves felt trays, here's a pic that I took during a refurb job:

It's nailed to the rafters.

I would have thought felt support trays would have been used in a new build.

Me too but it seems they are getting away with either breathable membrane straight into the gutter or some 9" wide dpc that ends up flapping about like a flag.

Sponsored Links
Should have 5U or felt support tray if the membrane is short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back