Russell Roof Tiles - Dry Verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I currently live in a new build property that has a roof constructed using Russell Roof tiles (Galloway) and also has dry verges installed. The problem I have is that the house is constructed of stone with an irregular surface and consequently when looking up at the roof from below you can see the battern exposed and also the roof membrane due to the verge caps not fitting correctly to the stone. The builder has sealed the lower roof with a silicone bead but cannot do the upper roof due to some of the gaps being larger than 20mm. I raised this with the builder but I am being told this has been installed to the manufacturers recommendations. I exchanged a couple of emails with the Russell Roof tiles Technical Director who stated that the dry verge product is designed for straight brickwork or barge boards. I am looking for some guidance in terms of whether I have a case to ask the builder to address the gaps between the verge caps and the stone external walls as at the moment they are saying that the gaps pose no issue (other than looking terrible).

Sponsored Links
It will be an issue when the wind catches it and wasps start nesting.

Tell them to change it to a wet verge with an undercloak.

I did ask for the to change it to a wet verge however the developer basically said the roof installer said he installed it as per manufacturers recommendations and consequently we've done our bit! We also live in a rural and exposed location so wind and wasps could be a problem.

Sponsored Links
It seems you only get half a job with a new house these days I am doing more and more work on new properties, the roofer probably knows that its wrong but he was paid to fit what the builder supplied him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back