Sarking not right at wallhead - options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New extension. Rafters have been terminated onto top of timber frame but stop short of outer block skin. It seems an extra course of blocks has been laid to make up the difference.

Of course, now the sarking stops short of the top course of blocks and slater is upset as he has nothing to nail his front row of slates (half heights) to. Even if he had, then they would be almost horizontal and wind would blow water back up past them.

My suggestion is to raise the lower 2ft of sarking by nailing on battens and OSB board, extending the OSB board over the top course of blocks to the top of the fascia. Would this be acceptable?

thanks
Guy

Sponsored Links
If this is new build why the hell is the outer skin so high? That's where the problem emanates from. And why do the rafters not extend out beyond the outer face of the outer skin? How did they end up building it like this?

I really don't know what the plans say it should be like,I do know there have been all sorts of problems with the plans.

Of course, now that the "deed is done" the question is what to do now.

Personally, I'd like the builder to remove the top course of blocks and the joiner to extend the rafters, but that's an awful lot to ask as it's an awkward shaped roof.

If I did it what I suggest above, I could have the battens and OSB fitted by Monday morning ready for the slater arriving.

Personally, I'd like the builder to remove the top course of blocks and the joiner to extend the rafters, but that's an awful lot of work as it's an awkward shaped roof.
If the guy had any pride in his work this is what would be done, no question.

Sponsored Links
Either way, I don't think leaving it as is can be an option, am I right? Both builder and joiner have been really good and the quality of work is excellent, so I hate to be awkward.

That said, I think I might have to insist on something being donw about this, as I'm pretty sure it will leak otherwise. - maybe not, I'm no roofer!

...I think it has to do with the joiner cutting the rafters short and then asking the builder to make up for his mistake... Personally, I'd like the builder to remove the top course of blocks and the joiner to extend the rafters, but that's an awful lot of work as it's an awkward shaped roof.
I assume that you are paying professionals to do a professional job, not some mates to do it on the cheap? In which case I reckon your personal view is the right course to follow; you want a proper job, not some easy bodge. They should have done it properly to start with, or alternatively, you should pay less...

Your roof drawing is kind of deja vu to what I`ve just repaired on my bungalow :idea: . I bought the place knowing full well that the " pagoda style" roof was a wrong un ( tiles not slates) but it was quite a chore to strip off and repair the bottom metre up from the eaves - changed the angle due to the flat tiles @ the eaves - like your slates - You need to know what the min. angle for slates is ( I don`t :oops: ) and then alter the rafter feet - Even if it`s a big job/fight with the builder it`s got to be worth doing - I was lucky I didn`t have more metreage of rotted soffit/ fascia due to water ingress :!: . Long term it`s gotta be done right ;)

I'm sure it was just one of those things, but it does seem pretty fundamental to me. I do hope they are okay with me asking them to change it.

That top block outer course is gonna be mighty unstable drilling/screwing some fixings in for the fascia/gutter too.

With the rafters oversailing everything can fixed into the rafter ends not the masonry. Unless its to match the existing roof I'd expect to see a bigger overhang than that too so that needs to be put right too.

Its a schoolboy error. Its like the builder's never built anything before!

I have a well seasoned builder and he really does seem to know the score.

For some background info...
The front wallhead is at a different height to the back (it's supposed to be, don't worry), and it "steps" up, half way along the side of the house. Front is 1-3/4 storey, back is 2-storey.

What I can't understand is that the rafters have been extended at the front with the correct overhang, fascia's and soffits, but then the back of the house has been built like this with no overhang etc.

Joiner got the calcs. for the roof wrong :!: Funny enough my late Father in Law did the same thing on a small dormer roof with " oddleg" rafters due to different wallplate heights - and he`d been cutting + pitching roofs for donkeys years @ the time - We all make mistakes ; You just gotta be big enough to admit it and rectify them ;) . I just happened to be with FiL doing a lead tray for the window - otherwis he`d have kept quiet :LOL:

Yeah, I get it. Modify the slates to mask the problem. Just sounds like an elastoplast fix rather than getting to the root of the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back