Scraping off Moss : Walking on roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

There is a lot of moss over the kitchen extension that I would like to scrape off with a trowel.

Is it reasonably safe to walk on the roof - I am not a roofer, but competent diyer ? (safe for the roof that is - I am not worried about myself)

I just figure that that is exactly what a roofer will do and I might as well do it myself.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not condoning walking on a pitched roof without any fall protection. Despite doing it myself from time to time.

If you DO, spread your load. Wear soft shoes or go barefoot to prevent point loading on the tiles. ensure that each hand and foot is on a different tile. Do not try and walk on just your feet.

Also, be extra carefull around the edge.

Similar to walking across a frozen lake.

It's also advisable to have someone around to call the emergency services if something does go wrong.

Thanks ... well the pitch is very low and the fall is also quite short.

But my understanding is that the experts ... also walk on roofs rather than say 'levitate' above them ... so as long as I am spreading weight ... it should be ok - right ?

No-one is going to erect scaffold for such a thing.

Normally when I hire a roofer they just disappear out the window and come back and charge money for it.

Or am I missing something ??

It's also been my experience that roofers just wander over them. But I've also had builders who walk through my house with muddy boots. Or bash the walls with materials.

Spreading the weight is more to protect the indevidual tiles than the roof as a whole. I once tried to walk out in boots and snapped a tile in half.

Sponsored Links
Walk on the headlap of the tiles, that way you are supported by the batten below the tiles and will break fewer tiles if any.

Whilst up there, if moss is a regular problem it would be worth thinking about putting a copper strip at the high point of the roof to minimise future moss growth

Do not go accessing or walking on a roof with bare feet - period.

You have access from the flat roof below to use a long broom and a hose to clear what little moss exists. No need to go on the roof.
Plus, some of the tiles look to be de-laminating and could be sodden and or brittle.

Clear your gutter before and as you clean, dont allow debris into the down pipe.

Thanks - well I will give it a go with a broom first.

Walking on the headlap ... do you mean place feet at the top of the visible portion of the tiles ?

Also need to cap off a couple of chimneys round the top ... seems pretty reasonable to just go up there - that's what the roofer do.

In a way I just want to remove my "fear" of walking on the tiles because all the workmen who come here take no precautions and stride out there ... and it all costs money.

Plus on this backside of the house the falls (if it were to happen) are no far - and I am sure footed.

The fall at the gable is quite a drop.

We often make up roof ladders on site using tile laths, cut and screwed together, and hooks at the ridge end. We tie them to our ladder(s), which are tied into the fascia or brickwork.

Just out of curiosity Dann, why not bare feet? As a general rule I agree with you, in the same way I will always agree with all saftey precautions.

Admittedly, there are the obvious hazards of sharp edges... etc. Though through experience of both walking over my roof and climbing in general, if you are un-sure of your footing, nothing rivals bare feet for feel, grip and response.

Disclaimer: This is purely my personal experience and I do not condone anyone NOT using suitable PPE.

Just use a spray on moss killer and let the rain wash it off.

I would be inclined to tape a scraper to a broom handle and just reach up from the ladder. Finish with a broom afterwards.

footprints

Plus on this backside of the house the falls (if it were to happen) are no far - and I am sure footed.
Physically fit chap at work (early 40s) fell about 4ft off a ladder (at home) onto carpet on a suspended timber floor. Broke his pelvis, off work for about 3 months, still walks with a limp and cannot run (happened about 5 years ago).

You can get an angled scraper that fits onto a decorators roller extension pole.

Well sorry to hear about that guy.

But frankly waking up in the morning is a risk. Do or do not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back