Should I tape my breather membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Having a roof done. It's a low pitch (16 deg) using low pitch tiles.

Would the roofers on here recommend I tape membrane or do people not usually bother ?

It is a non vented roof and if taping recommended any particular tape I need use or is it ok to use a general double sided building tape?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall and SurreyRoofingEstimator and apologies for the delay in saying thanks. I forgot I asked this in the end! but had come to same conclusion. I put in plenty of lap so didn't quite see point in tape.

If I may and you get this response can I also ask your opinion on a problem I am having with my gauging.

Basically as said its a low pitch roof and I have centurion tiles that say min batten gauge 265mm and max 285. The roof is very short abutting to my house along most of length and then becoming a mono pitch for a short length at both front and back so where it abuts the house the roof slope length from first batten to the abutment is about 1.8m. At the front where it is a mono ridge (i.e. not butting the house its about 2m and at back more like 2.6m.

Anyways all this made the gauging a little difficult but in the end we figured that 280mm would be ok and spaced the battens. However in a dry run when i place the tiles at one end of where the roof abuts the existing house wall I have about a 4cm gap between the head of the tile and the wall and at other end more like 9cm.

I believe the brickwork may be out a bit from front to back and had also left a 3 cm tolerance for the nib of tile (i.e. I took 3 cm off the roof slope when working out the gauge so that tiles wouldn't be tight against wall).

Well turns out they are not! I would have thought 4cm at the one end is ok (perhaps the battens were not all exactly 2" wide (I spaced between them with a block but am a bit worried about 9cm between the tile top and wall at other end...

So is this too much in your opinions? Obviously I have to put the flashing on and can get a thick strip 300mm wide say to go up the wall enough and over the tiles enough or would you advise that I rebatten? I have been playing with the figures and really I guess I could stick in another row of tiles but this would mean as stated before that the gauging was less then the min recommended. I spoke to Forticrete (who make centurion) and they were non committal about whether I should lap them that much.

Any advice welcomed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back