Tiled roof eaves question.........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently looking at a property with a view to purchase, however I have notice something I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on.

When viewing the house, on the first floor front external wall, there was about a 2 inch wide dark strip where the wall meets the ceiling on both the rooms situated against the front external wall.

My first thoughts were it could be slipped insulation causing a condensation issue, however when looking at the front elevation of the property, there is some sort of decorative creeper shrub from ground level to the eaves level at first floor, and the eaves seem to be covered in this 'creeper'

I am wondering if this purely coincidence, or if this could be part of the problem?

I have not yet inspected the loft space to see if there are any tell tale clues.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas as what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Callum

Sponsored Links
Creepers and ivy are always bad news and should be removed. They can open up masonry and roofs, causing gaps and draughts and localised damp and cold

Quick update......I did an inspection of the loft space today, and found the North facing pitch (the side where the ivy seems to be covering the eaves) to be COVERED in condensation. And I mean totally soaking.

I looked from the first floor windows up to the eaves and that confirmed the soffit mesh vents seemed to be partly blocked.

There was also a large rectangular mark on the ceiling on a first floor bedroom, when looking in the attic, I noticed this was directly below the cold water tank...........which had NO insulation beneath it so was causing a cold bridging situation, which could be fixed with adding insulation under the tank.

However, does anyone have any ideas of how to fix the condensation to the North pitch? We would obviously have to clear the vents from any ivy blocking them, but does anyone have any other suggestions which would help the situation?

The south facing pitch was completely dry, i presume as south facing. But this seemed abit strange that there wasnt a condensation problem there also, but maybe that is a good thing rather than both pitches being soaked.

The roof construction is rafters, vapour check (which the north pitch was soaking) then tile battens then tiles.

The water tank that has no insulation under it is positioned under the north pitch, could heat/vapour be getting into loft space via this uninsulated space??

Could this be a main part of the condensation problem?

Any input much appreciated.
:D

Sponsored Links
Don't insulate under the cold water cistern(s). Continue the insulation up the sides and over the top instead.

Insulating under the tank leaves it isolated in the cold loft space, and prone to freezing in the winter. Continuing the insulation over it brings it inside the heated space.

It was less of a problem when lower standards of insulation prevailed, but a well insulated loft will be very little warmer than the outside temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back