Torching on slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hoping you might be able to help...

I bought a late '20s (small) three bed semi with a slate roof in September. The homebuyer survey noted the torching was dropping away and would need attention in the next year or two (reported as amber). Quite a lot of it is missing and the rest looks like it won’t last that long. Since then I’ve had a couple of loose slates put right and the roofer that did those said that the lack of torching was nothing to worry about (although he wouldn’t have seen it from the inside). Generally the roof looks to be in pretty good condition, there’s a good draught in the loft which I gather is good for ventilation although it does feel a little damp up there at times. There are some visible damp patches wicking through the gaps between tiles when it rains, but I’ve never seen a drip. Not sure if it’s relevant but the loft is insulated with about a foot of rockwool with an area boarded for storage. I’ve noticed condensation on the underside of the slates once or twice but only after I was working up there putting the insulation in.

So, the questions are:

1. Is the lack of torching a problem?
2. Could it be re-torched by a reasonably competent DIYer? If so, are there any resources on the web that explain how to do it?
3. If it’s best to get a professional in, what would be a ball park cost (based in Wakefield)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back