Vally / Gutter in the roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am looking at a dormer conversion like this.
http://www.roofrooms.co.uk/photos/photo 1.jpg

Would like to know if the Valley / Gutter in the middle of the roof is a good idea?

How long do they last?
Any Maintance on them?
how can one stop them from getting blocked up.

Sponsored Links
Why would you put black guttering on a brown tiled extension! They are prone to damming with leaves and moss, but if it is only a short run and you get a decent fall then its an option.

Why would you put black guttering on a brown tiled extension! They are prone to damming with leaves and moss, but if it is only a short run and you get a decent fall then its an option.
No its not mine.

I want to gain the height, and still keep a good slope on the roof for water drainage.

Can it be covered, with something.

Please keep your views coming.

Unless you live near lots of trees it should not be problem, and if you do you can design it with large up stands. I have seen grates over these but they are going to need cleaning now and then.

Sponsored Links
Unless you live near lots of trees it should not be problem, and if you do you can design it with large up stands. I have seen grates over these but they are going to need cleaning now and then.

Whats upstands.

boxed-valley-gutter.gif

Jeez ibby, stop listening to your useless architect and sack him, just stick a flaty on it.

This was my idea! :LOL:

I dont like flat roof, in my previous house it had tons of issues :(

surely it cant be that bad.

can you suggest something else apart from the flat roof ?

Well ok at the bottom of the valley it would traditionally be in lead to make a water proof trough, and the up stands are the sides that go under the bottom row of tiles, and if you think it may be a problem area you could make it deeper.

Well ok at the bottom of the valley it would traditionally be in lead to make a water proof trough, and the up stands are the sides that go under the bottom row of tiles, and if you think it may be a problem area you could make it deeper.

got you :)

thanks

You could line the box gutter with either zinc or stainless steel. It would have a lifetime guarantee and the detailing would be better than lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back