Very Small Bay Window Lead Roof Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bay window which is no more than 1 metre across and 0.4 metres deep. The existing (and probably original) lead roof is leaking and the joists are rotten so it's time to rip out and replace.

Other than for aesthetic reasons on restoration projects, is it still worth installing a new lead roof covering over felt or fibreglass? What do most people replace their existing lead roofs with these days?

If the general consensus is to install a new lead roof, can someone offer some installation guidance as I would like to do this myself (i.e. how to fix the lead to the WBP)?

Sponsored Links
Thank for the video. Despite it showing some extremely good workmanship, it doesn't detail much about fixing methods (to a lightly pitched bay window).

Why do you not just copy how it was fixed before, you can get a piece of lead the same size and replace like for like.

Sponsored Links
As I'm unsure if it was done properly in the first instance. Should the new lead be adhered to the ply with adhesive or nailed at the sides? Both of these methods don't sound right to me...

Use as few nails as possible and don't glue it, and if you can put some breathable felt membrane between the lead and ply it will help it slide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back