Weathering plates - how to replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to replace a weathering plate?

I'm assuming it is the reason why my bathroom ceiling extractor drips water when it rains hard. I went into the loft today as the problem was getting worse. Water is trickling down the outside of the pipe which goes directly up through the roof.

As I have easy access to the roof (a flat roof from my balcony) I would give this a go myself if I knew what was involved. ie. how easy / difficult it is to do.

Sponsored Links
You remove the tiles around the pipe, slide of the old slate and fit new one, then replace tiles, apart from lead slates you can get a ally plate with a rubber collar, might want a bit of fairy on to enable it to slide over the pipe easier.

Ok thanks, I've no idea if there is a slate there but is it worth trying to repair it with mastic or is it best to get a new one?

Sponsored Links
Ok, Sounds sensible I'll get up there tomorrow if the wind and rain permit.

sounds more like the mushroom cowl is either missing or damaged

If that were the case wouldn't water come down the inside of the ducting? I checked the inside and it was dry but it's coming down the outside of the pipe, so I assume it's the seal around the pipe that's the problem.

Ok, although it's always seemed to require a particular directional wind. ie. it didn't always leak with rain. Anyway, wind is calm right now and got a mate coming round to hold the ladder, so I should be able to get a quick look in between showers. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back