what tiles for victorian bay roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been getting some quotes for recovering the bay roof on our victorian (1890) end of terrace house. I'm really looking for some advice on which tiles to get the roofer to use, it has been suggested that I use 02 brown roof tiles by the roofer with cement ridges, does this sound correct?

It is a single storey bay and would like it to look as traditional as possible. The best quote i've had is for £550 inc VAT which includes new battens, breathable felt, tiles, cement ridges and lead flashings.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
I hope you don'e really mean `cement' ridges.

Baby ridge would be the best option normally on a small bay roof

The tiles (assuming 35 degree pitch or over) best to be plain tiles, colour is whatever you want and what you want to match, there is a range but generally red, brown or grey with or without variation.

I thought he said cement or concrete and not baby ridge tiles but i'll check with him. Have you ever heard of cement/concrete being used instead of baby ridge as that is what is currently on the bay... not a ridge tile in sight!!

When you say plain tiles I'm guessing that 02 brown roof tiles fall into that category?

£550 inc VAT a reasonable cost??

Apologies for the simple questions, I know sweet FA about roofing!

note: I've attached a photo of the bay roof (next door neighbours scaffold plank decided to fall on it : ( )

Cheers,

Pete

Yes plain tiles are available in 02 Brown, it's just a colour designation for Granular Brown tiles.

I see cement hips quite regularly but they will fail at some point, a baby ridge is a much better option (making sure baby hips irons are also used) and will look a whole lot better

Sponsored Links
Many, many thanks for help. It all makes sense and will go with baby ridges and hip irons. I think I prefer brown tiles to the reddy/orange colour you see on a lot of new and old houses these days. They stand out too much for me.

Cheers,

Pete

Sorry... one last question. Tile materials?? Is there usually an option between clay, concrete etc?

is the norm clay tiles these days?

On that size roof there won't be too much difference between a single camber machine made clay plain tiles and a concrete one, the only sticking point may be the baby ridge.

You could close mitre the tiles at the hip. A bit more involved but worth it if it's done correctly. This way you can have clay as original without any concrete products...or mortar even.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back