Advice on tiling corners - trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
a while back i tiled our kitchen, i know the more experienced tiler is likely to laugh at my efforts, but generally the tiles have gone on pretty well.
My main issue, as you can well see below is that when i put the trims on i kind of knew i was bodging it but it was the end of the day and some strange demon in my mind said "you can fix that later!"
So, how SHOULD i have done it? (please don't bother with the "get a pro tiler in" comments)
If i should remove the trims and re-do them fine, i have a multi-tool that will enable me to do that (hopefully).

20120529212137.jpg
20120529212124.jpg

I've tiled a few walls now and they've ended up looking pretty good, but some haven't needed trims, and it seems that putting the trims on seems to vex me every time.

So, your advise on how best to put this right would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks :)

Sponsored Links
jacko - I've taken pity on you as others have ignored your post.

Use a Stanley knife to slice off the tops of those horizontal trims but take care not to chip the glaze on the tiles; leave the vertical trim in place.

Fill the top edge of the tiles with grout and blend in with your finger to produce a smooth flat finish. Also fill any gaps between the tiles and vertical trim whilst your at it. Leave to harden.

Paint the top edge the same as the wall above.

I would take the horizontal trims of and then cut to size properly but that's just me ....

Jibbs

Jibbs - trouble with that are the sections of new trim which are meant to go behind the tiles ... they couldn't be fitted in without lifting off the top row of tiles or trying to scrape-out about 20+mm behind the top tiles. Many pros would omit the horizontal trim and just fill/paint top edge as per my previous post

Sponsored Links
The only other option you might have to is to cut the trims to size then cut off the piece that normally goes behind the tile and use clear silicone to stick the edges down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back