Cutting 10mm thick porcelain tiles - wet saw blades?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I originally posted this question in the wrong forum so have moved my post to this forum.

I am just doing my bathroom and have a couple more rooms to tile so I invested in a wet tile cutter. It's not the most expensive - an Erbauer from Screwfix, but it seems an ok piece of kit. However the blade it came with seems pretty poor - it's blunt after about 10 tiles and has left small chips along the cuts which isn't ideal, but they're floor tiles so the edges will be covered. I don't want to continue doing visible areas though if the quality of the cut is going to be as average as it is at the moment.

My tiles are 66cm x 44cm, so tricky to cut. I'm going to replace the blade on the Erbauer and get a more pricey one. Anyone have any recommendations on a new 180mm blade that cuts porcelain nicely? I don't mind investing a bit into it as I've got more to do.

I've seen a Spectrum SL-Pro in Tool Station - supposedly the "ultimate tile cutting disc", and other people have recommended Norton and Marcrist (although I've seen some bad reviews on these).

Any experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

On another note, I've also got to cut radiator pipe holes in 1 tile and a cut out for a shaver socket - any tips on porcelain this thick/tough?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the best thing you can do is go and hire a RUBI TS70. its a dry cutter, but for straight cuts its the best you'll get and the cuts will look perfect. then use a wet cutter only for shaped cuts.

If you keep the surface of the wet tile cutter clean you can cut the tiles upside down, noticed recently when I tried this that the chipping was dramatically reduced.

Sponsored Links
Update - went for the Spectrum SL-Pro blade in Tool Station - works like a dream. If you've tried everything else as discussed above I would recommend going for a better blade. In fact, given you're probably working with a few hundred quid's worth (or £1500 in our case!) of tiles for a bathroom then buying a £30 blade that is better is probably worth it from the off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back