Plastering over tiled walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a late-victorian first floor flat.

I want to turn the existing (2.2 x 3.2 m with ceiling height 2.7 m ) bathroom into a bedroom. The bathroom is fully tiled. The tiles are very old and stuck fast. Even where cracks have developed in the walls the tiles have held fast on either side of the cracks, so they really are very firmly stuck down!

I'm loath to remove such stuck-down tiles, not least because I'm concerned about what the removal of the tiles would do to the surface below it. I'm also concerned that removal of the tiles would entail damage to the External wall - which is covered in fragile ceramic tiles. I suspect these tiles would not be easy to remove...

Is it possible to circumvent these potential problems by just skimming or plastering over the existing tiles?

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience / advice with this.

Sponsored Links
you might be better off in the plastering forum but i'd really suspect not.

drylining would be an option but condensation could be an issue

If you do not wish to remove tiles i would dot and dab over them or make stud wall just in front. That'll give the plasterer a better chance :)

Sponsored Links
Remove the tiles and use bonding hardwall or cement render as a base

Plastering on top of tiles is a Bodge of the highest order!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back