Slate tiles for window sill - how to cut & how to seal t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have some slate tiles I am hoping to use for my kitchen window sill. They are around 8mm thick.

*****CUTTING
My dad has lent me a beefy angle grinder to use. The blade he has given me is a Norton Expert C30R - BF41. Very similar to this (which is a "42" rather than "41" - not sure of the difference but it look s similar):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTON-EX...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item48468e3011

Will that do the job or should I get a different blade, and if so what?

Any tips when it comes to cutting? Should the tile me face down or up? Things like that.....

*****SEALING
Is sealing the tiles essential? We like the matt finish and the colour of the tiles as they are now. If we did not seal them, would they soon look awful and would they be impossible to clean if not sealed?

One other thing, I was going to lay them onto mortar. Does that plan sound ok?

Many thanks

Max

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
C 30 is the grit size, the BF number relates to a depressed centre or flat wheel type (if I remember correctly).
Either one will suit you.
Its a pretty small grinder, this one so cut carefully and slowly.
Cut from the face side downwards, and its best to cut almost the whole way through.....use water to reduce the dust but remember water and electricity don't get on too well.
I'll leave the slate sealing to others with more knowledge.
John :)

I read somewhere that diamond blades should be used. Is that what I have here or do i have something else? If the latter, should I look to get a diamond blade and any recommendations if so?

Thanks for the help...

Sponsored Links
A diamond blade will cut cleanly and last longer, but isnt really necessary for slate......obviously they are much more expensive.
Personally I wouldn't bother in your case.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back