Tiler has put 10mm thick adhesive on bathroom walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having the bathroom tiled and the
tiler has put a 10mm thick bed of adhesive to glue
the porcelain tiles down. These are 600mm
x 300mm tiles. The area is only 14 metres
squared but he has asked me for 8 bags of
tile adhesive.

He has also put PVA on the plaster 1st before
the adhesive.

Please let me know your thoughts, should I
stop him doing the other walls like this?

Sponsored Links
The size of the trowel notch depends on the size of tile, it's thickness, what it's made from and the type of adhesive he is using......so he may well be correct.
John :)

forgetting the PVA for a moment, its a good sign that he has asked for bagged adhesive, however 8 bags is extreme for 14 m2, assuming its a 20kg bag.
If he's using a 10mm notched trowel then thats no problem, if he's just putting a solid bed of 10mm then that is a problem.
14m2 - usage should be 3 - 5 bags on a normal installation, but only you know how good\bad your walls are.

PVA - this needs to be acrylic bonding instead -especially when using bagged adhesive over plaster.

You may need to question if your walls are adequately specified for the weight involved here, max weight on plaster skim is 20kg/m2, which you are very likely to be way over.
http://www.tiles.org.uk/help/a.weightlimit.shtml

Sponsored Links
Sounds way over the top to me and tilers regularly condemn the use of pva prior to tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back