Tiling a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to tile quite a large proportion of my bathroom from scratch, with next-to-no previous knowledge of tiling, save for a single line of about a dozen tiles around a previous bathtub which I struggled to complete about a decade ago. I have read quite a lot about the best ways to go about this job, and have viewed some tiling videos on youtube, but am still rather reluctant to take the plunge. Nevertheless, I have to get the job done shortly after Christmas, so it's 'in at the deep end' I guess.

Part of the same job includes fitting a new shower cabinet and tray and I am wondering whether I should tile the entire surface behind where the shower tray is going to butt-up against the wall before it is fitted, or just tile around the shower tray after fitting has taken place. Is there an accepted way, or does it come down to personal preference? I really just need to know which is the best way to make a watertight seal. Should I use silicone to seal the shower tray against the wall, or tiles, or just rely on a seal of grout between tiles and shower tray?

Also, should I tile the walls before fitting skirting board, or fit the skirting board first and use this as the level line from which to start my tiling?

When I reach the outer corners of a window recess, how should tiles meet? Do I take the tile from the window to the outer edge of the recess with enough to make up the difference of the thickness of the tiles on the main wall, or vice-versa (if you get my meaning)?

I may think of further related questions, but that's enough to be going on with.

Any constructive advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Ok hypno

First things first....what are the substrates your fixing the tiles to and what type/size off tiles are they?

The floor what is this made off...timber/screed ect...

The tray what type is it...low level or upstands (legs on it)...what is it made off?...usually the mfr instructions will tell you how it's fixed/bedded down,so in keep with warranty with it....

After answer above... we can take it from there...step by step.....

Don't be scared to upload pic off the areas..pics can tell a thousand words... ;)

Hi. Sorry for delay. Went offline soon after posting my message. The wall is made of breezeblock with a pretty old plastered finish. The floor is fairly standard 22mm tongue and groove floorboard. The tiles are bog-standard 150mm x 150mm white Wickes specials, and the shower tray is stone enamelled. The plastered wall is currently stripped down to the bare plaster with only some traces of original emulsion-type paint still firmly affixed (I have scraped off all the really loose stuff already). The old skirting has been removed and needs replacing and the floorboards are currently bare. Not that it probably matters, but just for the record, the ceiling is artexed over plasterboard. Hope that gives you enough info to be going on with.

Sponsored Links
If plaster is in good condition,then for the wet area around your tray...
You will want to tank this area...you can get homelux/dura/ wall membrane(hang like wallpaper)...or a paint on version bal/mapei ect...there are other mfr on the market to choose from...

Prime all walls with an acrylic primer apd ect or sbr...(two coats..one across the walls then second coat run up the walls..this ensures full coverage)...

Use a single part flexiable adhesive for tiling...with a 6mm square notched serator for tiles that size,you should get about 5/6 m2 per bag...

As for the tray...does the mfr recommend a semi dry mortar for bedding it down??

Re:materials

give tpt a shout.....
He is a tile retailer and good member off this forum....maybe PM him..

Re:the floor are you tiling this also?..

Always fit tray first then tile down to it,..leave a 2mm gap so you can seal with silicone..

Once you get yourself set up and ready for fixing tiles we will talk you thro...

Set up/datums/tiling around window/grouting ect..ect.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back