Tiling bathroom floor onto span flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we want to tile our bathroom floor, the current floor is chipboard span flooring. I presume this isnt going to be easy to rip up as the internal walls sit on top of the flooring...

Some people say I can just use a flexible tile adhesive, others say I need to put marine ply over the top of the current flooring, others say I have to rip up the current floor and replace.

So, what do you guys thing?

My only concern is if I put more wood ontop of the current then the increase in thickness is going to be pretty high, ripping up span flooring is going to be hard...

No idea what to do

Sponsored Links
Tiling on to the chipboard is not going to go well.

You either need to rip up and replace or overboard. Overboarding with ply will increase the height as you say. Take a look at concete boards such as Hardibacker which can be used on the floor, also No More Ply. Both of these products can be used in smaller thicknesses so the increase will be less.

What thickness to overboard or replace depends on the pitch/span/size of your joists.

Ripping out and replacing is the preffered option but may not be that easy to do.

If using ply (either for overboarding or replacing) then WBP ply is fine. Marine ply is very expensive and isn't needed.

What ever you do you will still need to use flexible adhesive. By a decent trade one. Not DIY shed stuff.

second the advice above. we sell loads of no more ply and have very very few issues with it.

ignore the people telling you to tile straight onto it. some of the very flexi (s2) adhesives will flex enough, but your tiles wont and they will crack. plus i'm guessing your chip is the green treated stuff - and nothing sticks well to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back