Tiling on to plaster board, should i seal with pva ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

when tiling direct on to skimmed plaster board is it good idea to seal it? i hear pva is not a good idea, plus its around a shower.

Sponsored Links
Onto p/board.....

With a good branded tubbed adhesive....answer is no...the tubbed mix will already have an acrylic primer in the mix...

If using a cement based adhesive...ie...bagged adhesive....yes you will need a primer...apd ect or sbr ....just follow m.i....re:mix ratio...

What area are you tiling?? Bathroom/kitchen...

If b/room. Be carefull for your weight limits per m2 onto p/board....

Sponsored Links
NO to pva mate, if its a plaster skim you can prime it with APD or SBR

How's the hand jimmy, sorry never got back tae ya mate

Not long back in country.....

Been busy working....middle east....might post pics off my tan lol...

just a small tiled area to make-good before a shower tray and enclosure goes in. I`m using Bal blue star tile adhesive as i hear its good gear. Think I`ll pick up some WBA or SBR to prime the plaster board or skim, not sure what I`ll find when i remove the bath ! May have to dot and dab a small area, Im meant to be a flippin heating engineer :) but work is work !

just a small tiled area to make-good before a shower tray and enclosure goes in. I`m using Bal blue star tile adhesive as i hear its good gear. Think I`ll pick up some WBA or SBR to prime the plaster board or skim, not sure what I`ll find when i remove the bath ! May have to dot and dab a small area, Im meant to be a flippin heating engineer :) but work is work !

How's the hand jimmy, sorry never got back tae ya mate

Not long back in country.....

Been busy working....middle east....might post pics off my tan lol...[/quote]

Hand is a bit of a hindrance Davy mate, been doing rehab, learning to use my left hand for everything, its a real pain in the a-se, but getting there mate. I was offered a long contract subbying so had to apply for my gold card, informed them about my hand, but because of this they will not issue me the gold card until i go to a unit approx 20 miles away, and spend the day tiling and answering questions, Just a basic examination but its costing me pennies lol. Anyway its good to be back on here and being as helpful as i can to people. No sign of Rich for a while. Lets see the pics of the tan then mate

Im using blue star on to normal plaster boards. picked up some wba so gonna slap that on, then wait 2 hrs and drink tea! :) i wish, got the tanks and booster pump to plumb in :(

Tiles are just over 300 mm, its that ok with blue star and primed boards.

reading back over these posts mate, am i correct in thinking you are using plasterboard for the shower encosure ? if so, NOPE. to just blue star and also on the size of your tiles i would use a bagged addy.
Why not use hardie backer board or aqua panel, get a tanking system and some flexible bagged addy and flexi grout.

If ya not going to tank the area you will be letting yourself in for more trouble and problems later on mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back