Wood burner, backing plate or tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a free standing wood burner behind which had been papered. Now of course it is starting to peel off having dried out so much.

So what now?

I was quoted £70 for a slab of 1m2 8mm steel plate that I could fix to the wall, and tiles of course are the other option but how and what types without it looking naff!

Any ideas guys?

Sponsored Links
I've seen panels made from vermiculite in a couple of styles - but would cement rendering followed by a coat of masonry paint be acceptable?
John :)

Is this a certified compliant installation or a DIY job? Papering behind a stove is useless & will never last; paper is also a “combustible material” which is not a good idea &, depending how close it is to the stove, contravens Building Regulations!

What's the wall construction?

Is this a certified compliant installation or a DIY job? Papering behind a stove is useless & will never last; paper is also a “combustible material” which is not a good idea &, depending how close it is to the stove, contravens Building Regulations!

DIY decorating although the stove was a professional installer who made no mention of the wall which is papered over plaster over stone. The stove sits about 6" away from the wall.

Sponsored Links

Hmm, interesting. I'll run that past the Mrs.

As said I'm just worried it'll look awful if I tile or even brick up the wall - made worse of course by spending both time and money!

Cheers

Confused by your second post :confused: What’s "interesting" that you’re going to run past the Mrs? TBH they are best left out of it when it comes to what is & isn't possible in difficult situations!

What’s the plaster like underneath the paper is it cracked & blown? Ordinary Gypsum plaster fails if it’s regularly exposed to temps above 50 degrees. The wall has to be in good condition whatever you end up doing with it.

Are we talking about one wall, say at the back or is it a recess with 3 walls? I use 600 x 300 black granite tiles on fire surrounds; they are expensive but look very nice especially in conjunction with a black granite hearth. What’s the stone like? Alternatively, why not strip the plaster off & expose it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back