500w hammer drill OK for occasional masonary work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of drill advice please guys for an amateur DIY'er with a sub £80 budget

Seen a Bosch drill rated 500w and wondered that as it would only get occasional use but might need to drill through masonary every now and then.
Is this likely to be underpowered for this and would I be better off with either a higher power drill or even an SDS one?

I guess I'm looking for a bit of an allrounder?

Appreciate the advice

Sponsored Links
A 500W drill will be ok for diy use, and it will tackle soft masonry like thermalite, cement beds and soft(ish) brick.....but naturally the bigger you go the harder the tasks that can be undertaken.
A SDS drill is really for masonry use only, so it depends on what you intend to do, really!
John :)

I am of the opinion that it is better to have the power and not need it rather than need the power and not have it.

Spend an extra £20 or £30 and buy a Bosch blue SDS.

Look here.

If you will be using the drill for everything, it's a tough call. I wouldn't want to use the sds all day if only drilling timber or metal.
Decide what you will use it for most of all.

DIY to me means putting up shelves and whatnot, nothing larger than 7mm, a standard hammer drill will suffice.
If you use good quality bits, and start with a 4-5mm and work your way up, then you can get the job done.

Sponsored Links
A SDS+ drill will be excessively heavy for a lot of ordinary domestic DIY.

A SDS+ drill will be excessively heavy for a lot of ordinary domestic DIY.
I think you will find it is better to hold a slightly heavier drill up for a short period of time than it is to try and hold a less heavy one up for ages.

Plus, you don't need to push on an SDS like you do with a poxy hammer drill.

Trust me, an SDS is far less effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back