Advice (choice of drill and holesaw)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We have bought so many tools that are wrong so far we just need help.

We have recently bought this;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bi-metal-holesaw-70mm/80934

We own two drills one being a Energer rotary hammer and a blackspur cordless drill and we then bought these.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/quick-hitch-holesaw-arbor-11mm/12437 Which screws in fine to the actual holesaw, but the end is too big to fit into the drill chuck and isn't shaped properly for the SDS hammer.

The other drill bit was completely the opposite, was the wrong thread for the holesaw but would fit into the drill

So, please. We need help.. Either one that will fit an SDS Energer drill or one that will fit a cordless drill.

Happy Holidays.

Sponsored Links
You don't really want to be using an hole saw on hammer action, so SDS fitting would be a bit of nonsense. The blackspur will likely have 10mm chuck and the arbour is 11mm, so logic says it aint going to fit. Buy yourself some good quality power tools my friend not cheap or even expensive rubbish.

Depending why and where you use the hole saw, would depend on whether you use cordless or corded drill.
But when buying rotary drills make sure you get a chuck sizes of at least 13mm as that would deal with the majority of drill bits used by the DIY and Pro user.

You don't really want to be using an hole saw on hammer action, so SDS fitting would be a bit of nonsense. The blackspur will likely have 10mm chuck and the arbour is 11mm, so logic says it aint going to fit. Buy yourself some good quality power tools my friend not cheap or even expensive rubbish.

Depending why and where you use the hole saw, would depend on whether you use cordless or corded drill.
But when buying rotary drills make sure you get a chuck sizes of at least 13mm as that would deal with the majority of drill bits used by the DIY and Pro user.

If I am correct the rotary can be used on drill action. I bought these all from screwfix so they are good quality.

If I am correct the rotary can be used on drill action.
Do you mean in hammer action?
I bought these all from screwfix so they are good quality.
Buying from Screwfix does not guarantee quality, your choice and selection of power tools does! But unfortunately that so far has not been up to scratch, if you are going to potter about the house putting the odd flat pack together and maybe putting a curtain rail or shelf up, those drills may get you though, but if you intend to sell your services as a pro they will not and neither is suitable for the hole saw regardless of quality.

Sponsored Links
if you want to put an "ordinary" bit in an SDS+ chuck, you need an adaptor chuck. Some drills come with them (mine did) if not it might cost you £30 or so.

If not I think in your position I would be looking for a "half inch" 13mm corded drill in a fairly light model with hammer action, it will be more powerful and faster than your cordless. If you are a DIYer you can get one for about £30, or even half that sometimes. my SDS+ is a great heavy brute so a light corded drill is frequently more convenient, and has enough power if I am not working with concrete or big sizes.

A typical cordless will probably be underpowered for a holesaw.

If you are buying cheap tools it is a good idea to buy them just before you start a major piece of work, so if they go wrong quickly, you can return them before the guarantee runs out. Of course there is a lot to be said for not buying really cheap stuff.

What are you drilling into? That type of hole saw is fine on wood, metal or plastic - but it is not for brick or concrete.. (that you might intend to use an SDS on). An alternative, if drilling into wood or plastic is a forstner bit or spade bit. If you want to drill into concrete/brick you need a particular type of core bit - and may have a compatible fitting more suitable for an SDS Drill.

Nozzle

what could possibly suggest inferior quality about a drill a tenth of the price of comparable products....

We are just adding small soffit vents into the attic to help with our ventilation issues.

My rotary hammer has the ability to go into normal drill mode. We have a cordless drill but isn''t very powerful.

I'm just writing on behalf of my girlfriends dad as he supposedly knows everything construction..

I agree the previous arbor's are 11mm so It would make sense, fit an 10mm or 9.5 and away we go. But can that just work..

The R/hammer is a bit too heavy for taking it up ladders and the cord is dangerous. I would prefer the cordless drill. The 70mm holesaw seems to be decent quality and even has some clips to secure it from wabbling around.

There is nothing wrong with the hole saw, it the choice of corded/cordless drills I would question. Personally don't think the blackspur would be up to it and really you don't want to be having to handle a heavy SDS drill up ladders.
I would get a £10-£15 corded, I purchased one of these about 3 years ago, with the intention to drill a large amount of holes through joists and stud walls. Thinking it would be burnt out and knackered by the time I had done and with a no quibble 12 month warranty for brand new replacement. Thus protecting my prized makitas.
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=152428

But it has stood up well to the test, like I said it's been given three years hard labour and outlasted many drill bits. Cost me £8.99 back then.
So you have to be selective and canny when choosing your tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back