How to drill into concrete or granite ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to hang a mirror but it is a very old house so the walls are made of solid granite stones (covered by ~1cm of plaster + wall paper). My drill is a 600W Black and Dekker and I generally use it for drilling wood but I did once try drilling into concrete to screw down a saddle board but I got nowhere. I pressed down on the drill but it didn't advance into the concrete at all, the drill bit just heated up more and I was worried that if I applied more presure the bit might simply break. So I expect the granite wall will be comparable to trying to drill concrete. From some brief googling it seems my first mistake when trying to drill concrete was that I did not enable the hammer mode on the drill I was just using drill mode. So, assuming I do use the hammer mode this time, is it likely to work ? Will 600W + hammer mode drill holes in a granite wall ? If so how long should it take to make a hole of ~1.5 inches deep using a drill bit with ~0.75cm diameter ? Any other advice for drilling into granite walls ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Sponsored Links
The last time I tried to drill anything hard with a regular hammer drill was when we were building the Ark! :p

Beg, steal or borrow an SDS drill.

You'll probably get away with a new masonry bit (6mm) but the hammer function is absolutely vital when drilling masonry.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I agree with John, you must use the hammer function. Also, use a decent drill bit. With a good bit and using a good technique, you should be able to drill those holes in 30 seconds.

I agree with John, you must use the hammer function. Also, use a decent drill bit. With a good bit and using a good technique, you should be able to drill those holes in 30 seconds.

With a black and decker drill.... into GRANITE?? Try 30 years and about 200 drill bits.

Granite will drill with a hammer drill and good sharp drill. It's slow though! Used to happen all the time down here in Cornwall before SDS were generally available.

Granite will drill with a hammer drill and good sharp drill. It's slow though! Used to happen all the time down here in Cornwall before SDS were generally available.

Aye, they formally used a Star chisel & lump hammer, but it was very hard work & it took yonks!!! Thankfully, we left the Dark Ages behind us.

Aye, they formally used a Star chisel & lump hammer, but it was very hard work & it took yonks!!! Thankfully, we left the Dark Ages behind us.

If I had to plug granite, which wasn't too often luckily, I used to use the old hammer drill, and pull the drill out occasionally and give it a belt with a hand type plugging tool and hammer to help it along a bit. Those old plugging tools are basically a star chisel.

I think some of those old engineering bricks can be as bad as granite to drill!

SDS makes it so easy to drill pretty well anything masonry wise though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back