Issues with Bosch Pro 14.4v combi drill into concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a bosch profession 14.4v combi drill, was trying to drill some holes in my external wall to fit a rawl plug to hang a curtain pole. I get in about half way and my drill won't get in any further. Instead all its doing now is making the existing hole bigger and taking off the surrounding plaster.

Was thinking if i should get a new masonry drill bit (looking at a bosch one)

Or do i need to get a drill driver and if so do i need an SDS one if all i'm doing is trying to screw in a rawl plug.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
youve ethier blunt your drill bit or youve hit something else in the wall...

Sounds like you've hit a steel lintel maybe. Is the bit hot when you take it out? (wet your finger and touch it briefly to see if it makes a sizzling sound)

Hi Cajar

Yes it is hot when I pull it out (nearly burnt my finger off last night as I didn't wet my fingers)

If it is a steel lintel, can I drill through it? or do I need to go further out?

I'm drilling about 15cm (horizontal) from the left/right of the window and 10cm (vertical) from the top

Sponsored Links
Go further out and fit a timber batten then fix your brackets to the batten.
Paint the batten white or the same colour of the wall.

Andy

Why not just hire a monster drill from your local tool hire shop? 14.4v ain't going to get through much to be honest!

Happy to go out and get an SDS drill if that helps (but I only want to drill a few holes to fit a curtain pole so not sure if I will go out and hire a monster drill)

Can I still drill through the lintel?

If not, think I will go out a bit further and hope my existing 14.4 will be enough to drill the holes i need (don't think I want to go for the batton approach as I want to keep the supports fluch to the wall)

You've probably hit the rebar in the internal concrete lintel, only an SDS will go through that if your only going to use a masonary bit

Stick a screwdriver in. If it feels rough it is concrete/granite if it feels smooth - then its's steel. My guess is it's just concrete. You'll need an DS drill. If it's rebar - then don't try and drill through it - you might just crack the lintel.

Its about 12-15mm through the wall at the moment.

When I was drilling it was coming out with Grey dust (compared to another room where it was Red brick dust).

...about 50% of the way I believe
My point was, are we talking a few mm (as appears to be the case) presumably half the depth of the preposed rawplug, or 30-40mm in which case it proberbly enough already!

Daniel

So if got go 15cm higher will I be able to get past the lintel, thereby saving me this Agro?

The suggestion of the batten is a good one as it will cover the unsuccessful hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back