Parkside tools and Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many other workmen, I have found some Parkside tools to be very cost effective.

However, now that I have experienced what I can only regard as a premature breakdown, I am having to re-assess just how wise it is to invest in tools that have little or no after sales service support.

I have three jigsaws, a Matabo, 8 years old, a Black and Decker 10 years old and a Parkside about 5 years old.

The Parkside has only done about 30 minutes of work, but conked out in the middle of a cut 22/10/12. The original blade is still as sharp as a razor.

Phone calls to the Parkside 'service' line were very unfruitful. From the conversation with this service line, it transpired that they only deal with tools less than three years old. In such situation a full replacement is always offered.

Once a tool is more than three years old, no service or repair work is available from 'Parkside' whatsoever. This dismal fact should be born in mind by anyone contemplating the purchase of Parkside tools.

With my 'old' but new looking jigsaw in need of some technical attention I would be very interested to know the name of any nearby workshop that would undertake the repair of any Parkside tool.

Short of getting it repaired, I might frame it in a glass case, as a salutary lesson on the perils of cheap tool purchases!

Sponsored Links
Cheap branded power tools are throwaway products and should be bought with this in mind.

They are un-sevicable and are replaced wholesale whilst still under warranty or thrown away otherwise.

Frame it then go and buy a blue Bosch or possibly a Metabo. Spares for Bosch jigsaws made 20 years ago are still available, Metabo are a tad less easy to get spares for. I still have my early 1990s Metabo Step.564 jigsaw in regular use, although it is mainly used for scribes these days - my main jigsaw is a 6 year old Bosch GST135BCE (ehich replaced the Metabo as my main jigger). Personally I think you get what you pay for - DIY tools 10 to 50 hours use, trade tools 200 to 1000 hours.....

Sponsored Links
Like many other workmen, I have found some Parkside tools to be very cost effective.

However, now that I have experienced what I can only regard as a premature breakdown, I am having to re-assess just how wise it is to invest in tools that have little or no after sales service support.

I have three jigsaws, a Matabo, 8 years old, a Black and Decker 10 years old and a Parkside about 5 years old.

The Parkside has only done about 30 minutes of work, but conked out in the middle of a cut 22/10/12. The original blade is still as sharp as a razor.

Phone calls to the Parkside 'service' line were very unfruitful. From the conversation with this service line, it transpired that they only deal with tools less than three years old. In such situation a full replacement is always offered.

Once a tool is more than three years old, no service or repair work is available from 'Parkside' whatsoever. This dismal fact should be born in mind by anyone contemplating the purchase of Parkside tools.

With my 'old' but new looking jigsaw in need of some technical attention I would be very interested to know the name of any nearby workshop that would undertake the repair of any Parkside tool.

Short of getting it repaired, I might frame it in a glass case, as a salutary lesson on the perils of cheap tool purchases!

I know it doesn't help your situation now but in future just remember this...

'He who buys cheap buys twice', its a quote someone told me once when i started in the trade and i've never forgotten since.....and stuck by it!

Thanks for all the sound advice chaps.

The jigsaw has miraculously started to function again.

I took the back off and looked at the power lead connections. Observed how the on/off button controls a micro-switch via a connecting linkage. Finally made sure that the brushes were functioning. A shot of power and away it went.

I now know that the damed thing as got the worst of all faults, a mysterious intermittent one.

My local repair shop, who deals with all well know brands of power tools, do not touch Parkside. They claim that the only parts available are brushes.

The only amusing thing about this situation is what it says in the Parkside instruction booklet. "Insure that the machine is only repaired by qualified persons". And "The guarantee will be invalidated if non genuine parts have been used for repairs".

The whole lesson to be learned when buying own brand power tools from a cheap shop is: Don't pay too much for them, and expect to throw them away after a few hours of use.

I think you're being unduly harsh in your criticism - three years is a decent life of a diy tool at that price.

Purchased from Lidl a Parkside multi tool. After approx 30 mins use now stops and starts repeatedly to a point that I now cannot use. Didn’t keep receipt so I’m now stuck with a useless tool with all its accessories.

Well, the accessories should work on most other multitools, so you at least have that

I know people that have conked out after 30 minutes work

Is Parkside intended for trade use?

I recall posts on here about certain Makita cordless drills failing after very little use

I had a Parkside belt sander that was used for intense periods over about 10 years. Eventually it died, may have been brushes I don't know, but I'd had my money's worth and was not worth messing with.

You have just been extremely unlucky, or perhaps have abused the flex - that's what the 'intermitant' sounds like it could be. If you are doing professional work, buy professional tools. DIY tools are generally fine for occasional DIY work.

Harry, you will get intermittent flex faults with Bosch blue jigsaws if you use them a lot. Don't ask how I know that - but other than the flex you will get decades of use out of a "bluey"

Harry, you will get intermittent flex faults with Bosch blue jigsaws if you use them a lot. Don't ask how I know that - but other than the flex you will get decades of use out of a "bluey"

That was one of the points I was making - abuse of flexible cables. No appliance is immune to it, just look at any hair dryer or curling tongs used by an unsympathetic female.

Is there such a thing as a sympathetic female? At least when it comes to tools, that is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back