Using SDS drill to remove screw heads.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At rather short notice I need to remove a panel that is held in place by half a dozen screws that simply will not budge. None of my 15 or so cross/pzi bits seem to provide enough engagement to turn the heads so I will need to drill the buĝĝers out.

I am a bit confused as to what to use here. I have had a Makita battery drill for a few years but the batts are on their last legs and will not have the power to remove the said screws. I also have a Bosch SDS drill which I have only ever used for masonry drilling. Is it possible to use this to remove the described screwheads and, if so, what sort of SDS bit would be recommended? Thanks for any advice. ;)

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to grip the edges of the screws with mole grips and unscrew them that way?

You are going to need a metal cutting drill bit to drill screws, using a slow speed as the screws will be hardened steel.

Is it possible to grip the edges of the screws with mole grips and unscrew them that way?
No, unfortunately it is not. The screws are holding a ply panel that I really do not wish to damage. The screw heads are screwed right down onto the material.

You are going to need a metal cutting drill bit to drill screws, using a slow speed as the screws will be hardened steel.
Is there such a thing available for and SDS drill?

Have you tried a sharp flat head screwdriver?

Sponsored Links
The blade would not get in there, Joe. I wonder if I might be able to cut a groove in the head with a dremel tool and then use a flat blade, but, again, it risks damaging the plyboard panel. :(

Doubt it. If you have an ordinary type drill then the Bosch blue multitrade bits are your best bet. They are as tough as fook.

Is there an SDS equivalent of these, Joe? If not I might end up having to buy a new mains drill (obviously non-SDS) which is plausible, but I am a bit pushed for time currently.

chuck adaptor for sds drill, very useful
Ive got a chuck adapter for mine, and its is indeed very usfull giving a plausable corded drill for £8, although the torque output from an SDS isnt huge and without a 'proper drill' I have struggled on some larger jobs.

Daniel

Use a dremmel type tool, fitted with a thin absasive cutting disc, use this to cut a screwdriver slot in each of the screw heads, then use a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the screws.

Wotan

use a pozi driver with a steel head crack the scew with a hammer and try tightening it first nearly always works, once its moved it'll undo !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back