Can waterproof PVA been covered with paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I know this is more towards decorating but you guys deal with this PVA stuff everyday so must of come across this

I have been removing an existing wall coating from the outside of my property and now want to secure / seal certain areas before I apply the paint.
What PVA would be best, waterproof or normal, it is an external paint job so water proof would seem the obvious choice but seems that I will be painting over the seal does it matter and would a water proof PVA prevent the paint from being applied similar to when you try to paint over silicon sealant.

I have only ever used the normal PVA so unsure of the water proof part.

Sponsored Links
i would not, under any circumstances, use pva any where near an area i was about to paint.

Why are people obsessed with PVA as a primer before paint? It as noseall said madness. Why do you want to 'seal' certain areas?

Sponsored Links
forget pva and look at priming with a suitable paint or pre-paint product.

in other words look at what the paint manufacturer suggests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back