Replacing a Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The barrel lock in our pvc door has jamed - at least the door is open not closed.
I thought to replace it I could just remove the screw that holds the lock in place.
Ive done that and the barrel lock is much looser but it wont come out.

Ive tried to remove the metal stip down the door but that wont budge with lock still there.

How do I relese the lock to fit a new one?

Thanks

G

Sponsored Links
Normaly you need to put the key in and turn it 1/8th of a turn for the arm to sit in the lock body, pull or push the key at the same time and you will feel it give. If you have a new one already have a look you will see what I mean.
If the key doesnt turn you will have to screw the lock back in and drill out the barrel and try to turn it with a screwdriver.
Its the only way I know.

Tony

Thanks for that.

It turns out the lock is not the standard type as there is a metal catch or something on the back of the lock/barrel casing. sadly there is no name on it.

Ive had someone out to look at it and they were rather confused by it.
Im waiting on the boss to call me back

cheers

G

It should push through still push though. Does the lock have a keyhole on the outside and a turn knob on the inside?
It will come out even if you have to push the lock through including the key. The lock will go through far enough to turn the key back to neutral and take it out. Then the lock will slide out still.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back