traditonal roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm an architectural technician who is used to trussed rafter roofs and pvc fascia and soffits.

I want to get to grips with tradional roof detailing and joinery. i would be grateful if anyone can recommend any good books that i could refer to.

thinking along the line of exposed rafter ends gable ladder detailing with exposed feature purlin ends.

thanks,

gary

Sponsored Links
come and work with me for 12 months. you will be paid in experience. :LOL:

i have only built one truss roof in the last 8 years. all the others are trad. we build an average of five extensions per year.

exposed purlins (with scalloped ends), exposed rafters and the like are mainly reserved for those pre-Edwardian, bold buildings, where building maintenance was carried out by a crew of five men sharing a shilling per week. ;)

Get Chudleys "Construction Handbook" or the Mitchels series.

Also TRADA do an excellent 4 page guide - something like "cut rafter" or "traditional rafter" roof principles. I'll have a look for the title later

Sponsored Links
scalloped end purlins to gable and exposed rafter at eaves.

this is the detailing I'm doing at the moment. i know you can get dummy GRP products, but don't think these are really suitable

i would imagine a regular jigsaw is out of the question when forming a "sexy" gallows end to a 12"x 4" purlin. :LOL:

i would imagine a regular jigsaw is out of the question when forming a "sexy" gallows end to a 12"x 4" purlin. :LOL:

there a bit beefy. will be a little more slender than that i think. once the qs looks at it will be boxed eaves with plastic fascias and soffits anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back