Reinforing Notched Floor Joist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of installing a new shower and while creating the run for the pipework was incorrectly advised by a friend that I could cut a 2" notch into the top of a 2x8" joist.

After accidently coming across other posts on this site I now realise that the maximum notch depth for an 8" joist is just 1".

The joist span is approx 3m and the notch is approx 50cm away from the end of the joist and is 7cm wide.

How do I go about reinforcing this joist (does it even need it?) I have plenty of 2"x4" (47x100mm) Sawn "Easy Edge" Timber from Selco lying around could I use this timber on either side of the joist beneath the notch to "brace" it I also have a box of 5x80 Turbogold screws can I use these to secure the "timber braces" to the joist.

Thanks.

PS. This was also posted in the woodwork/carpetry forum as I wasn't sure where was the best place to post it. I hope this doesn't upset anybody.
[/i]

Sponsored Links
PS. This was also posted in the woodwork/carpetry forum as I wasn't sure where was the best place to post it. I hope this doesn't upset anybody.
[/i]

Yes it will, Delete delete delete!!! Or edit this one by changing the word 'shower' to 'sink' :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back