building near public sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, just wondering if anyone was has built a extension within 3 metres of a sewer? and how lenient was the water authorities about it?

Sponsored Links
the invert is 2.8m deep, i know you normally have to dig to the depth of the invert but didnt really want to be digging that deep, only 825mm to strip foundation on my house, drains runs along my proposed gable end.

Wow 2.8 deep . definitely have a word with them, cant really say what they may want you to do in your area though, but it sounds costly to me. how far away from the gable wall is it ?

Sponsored Links
its 2750mm from my proposed gable to the centre of the drain thats why i was wondering if thet would let it go... thought about just getting it piled but dont really want to be spending a couple of grand on that, united utilites have not really been much help made me wait 2 weeks before telling me id have to locate the drains and draw a scaled drawing for them myself...

If you are that far away there should not be to much of a problem !!! but who knows !!! at the end of the day as far as I am aware they are mainly only interested in protecting their services which is why the 3m rule applies, at 2750 your not to close but you will need to consult and get a decision from them (in writeing) or it could bite you one day.

If you're more than 1m away from any drain, you don't need to go down to invert. Draw a 45° line from the invert of the pipe until it hits your foundations and that's the min depth you need, subject to prevailing ground conditions.

The normal wayleave is 3m; at 2.75m no one is likely to bat an eyelid. Adjust your drawing to show it 3m away, if you're worried about it - no one will be out to check.

although you will have a buffer zone of about 3m from your foundation trench to the existing drain trench, you still need to be careful.

once yours is dug there will be a strip of solid ground separating your trench from a very deep but obviously back-filled drain trench.

don't go mad with the digger or dumper in this area as you may give the ground a little push.

it will depend on how big and wide the original drain trench will have been.

we are currently constructing an extension that falls within 3 meters

the last two that we have constructed close to main sewers we have had to have a pre construction drain survey carried out (cctv) scan,send the dvd to your local water authority with a fee
which when carried out will contain any existing defects and will be plotted and fully identified.
this is worth its weight in gold as after the last one we built, severn trent claimed there was damage to the drain. of which a small crack was showing , not even in our working area but was showing on both the pre and post survey recordings proof we didn't do it. as they record the pipe along its whole distance to the working area.

so you need to ask the water authority for whats known as a build over agreement. as previously mentioned,you have no future protection if you don't .

cheers for the comments guys will take it all into account going to try meet up with the utility surveyor to go through things, really wanna get started now told my girlfriend it'd be water tight for christmas! haha... never know this credit crunch could free a bit of time up!! thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back