Chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having two chimneys removed that are on the verge of falling down, the fire places are not used and and all but one has already been sealed and plastered over. (2 bedroom 1 lounge)

the roof had just started to weep as the water is getting behind the render and also the cement seating around the base by the rrof is all cracked, so we decided as the chimneys are not used to remove them

My question is with sealing the final fire place will this have an effect on house hold ventilation?

The house in question is a 100 years old 3 bed detached

The boiler in the house is a condensing boiler which is flued to an outside wall

There are no gas fire places in the house

There is a 3rd chimney in the kitchen which has been sealed but we plan to fit a range cooker in the opening and then open it up for extraction?

Sponsored Links
My question is with sealing the final fire place will this have an effect on house hold ventilation?

No.

Chimneys were / are not designed for ventilation purposes.

That's what windows are for ;)

Chimneys are primary for flues, but the secondary function is ventilation

Blocking or removing a fireplace and the extraction they give can cause some issues if humidity levels were being balanced by the existence of the flue - eg condensation may start to form with the room.

Also blocking up a chimney can lead to condensation forming within the flue and this could leach out into the plasterwork of the chimney brest

Sponsored Links
I am going to install an air brick into each of the chimney breast that run down the out side wall this should hopefully prevent any dampness issue occurring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back