Issues with workmen [Building]

There's is an easy answer here. Get the boss of the firm round and ask if he would be happy with this job in his home. If he says yes then get a second, reliable, company in to do the job properly. You will then have given him the option of sorting it out.

If it costs more then sue the first firm through the small claims for the difference.

Sponsored Links
So yesterday mum got into contact with the Trading Standards first thing, they told her not to pay this while the dispute is ongoing. The builders where expected to be coming around in the early afternoon of Monday.

Mum, somewhat "worried" was told if anything was to happen, to get the police involved, of course, i had a feeling it wouldnt really go anywhere near that stage, regardless, mum called over some of my brothers just incase [Ahem].

They arrived, and before they got out of the van my mum went out and told them they're not going to be getting paid. She told them they where reported, and so no payments would be completed until their investigation is sorted.

Trading Standards said they would get back in contact with ourselves and the builders in question within 3 days or so. However this morning, Trading Standards said they would be sending over a representitive to inspect the work. About an hour later this person arrived.

I wasnt in the room, but he didnt seem happy with it. I do believe the title of this guy is Building Control[ler]. He said that the wall in question ISNT a supporting wall i think, but it was still a very bad job. The support isnt upto standard and the ceiling isnt safe at the moment.

Trading Standards just got off the phone a few minutes ago and must have recieved the report from this Building Controller. The issue at the moment is everything has to be put in writing, and this is where i am stuck. They said a letter needs to be sent to this building firm, outlining the fact that mum isnt happy with their work, AND, she will not accept them coming back into the house to "repair" any mistakes which they have done.

I was told to take pictures of the work they have done [Which luckily, i have] because the builders could go and sue us for non-payment without any proof, and they could refuse responsibility for the incidents.

Another thing which was mentioned, but i am not sure about, is Trading Standards mentioned something about the loft, and how the support isnt large enough. I dont understand this, but, i have to mention this in the letter - Does anyone know what they mean by this?

Finally, they said what we need to do is get in 3 other building companies, to check out the building work which has taken place, and to get estimate-quotes for any repairs that will need to be done. I am assuming by this, that i mention in the letter that if the repairs cost £xx.xx then do THEY pay the other builders to repair what they have done - Then we pay the original builders?

Hate writing letters, specially when im not too familiar with what has to be done!

AD - first thing to do is to make a summary (a list) of many of the views/opinions posted here. Next try to gather any written reports/notes from the BC guy (notes during a phone call perhaps). These will form the basis of any specification you give to your 3 quoting builders. These notes/summary will also guide you in constructing any letters.

Sponsored Links
I have not read the OP's very long first post, and just skimmed through the latest post, but I get the gist. Its a dispute.

Whenever you are not happy with building work, and are not able to determine if the work is correct or not, and can't reach a solution with the builder, then the thing to do is agree with the builder that an independent expert is appointed to comment on the work, and then those comments ( a report) will be the basis of moving the dispute forward to resolve it.

Trading standards and the councils building control officers are only able to comment in relatively limited areas of expertise, and may not be the most suitable people to get involved

And other builders can not objectively comment on builders work.

Appoint an independent expert and agree that costs will be paid for by the party who is significantly "in the wrong".

The original builder must be given the opportunity to correct defective or unsuitable work, and only if he refuses, should other builders be engaged and the cost pursued in the court

Remember that there are contractual relations in any work like this, and like it or not, the contractual agreement (ie the builder getting paid for work done or agreed) will often take precedent over any dispute unless specific and correct steps are taken to resolve the dispute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back