Best Fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best type/size and method of fixing 3" timber posts to a 4" thick block wall x 4ft high.
Using 6 ft posts I will have about 4 ft against the wall with 2 ft above so I can fix horizontal "wind thru" type boards across the posts and along the top of the wall giving us a trellis type finish.
Suppose the best method would be bolting through post and wall with traditional bolts and nuts but the wall is a dividing border with next door neighbour and they are not keen on having bolt heads etc showing on their side.
Rawlbolts? :confused: come to mind but i`ve never used them and i`m unsure where to start.
Please help.

Sponsored Links
rawlbolts or thru bolts will be fine. Easy to use. just offer up the timber, drill the hole, pop it in, and tighten. If you dont want to see the head of the bolt protruding then countersink a hole in the post.

Thanks Thermo, sorry to be a pain but just looked at both types on screwfix and unsure of differences. What are `projecting` rawlbolts v ordinary rawlbolts and which would you suggest I use?

Finally starting to put up my fence this weekend but after looking in all local builders merchants etc for thrubolts 10 x 150mm I cannot get any longer than 130mm. Would this length be ok to get a solid fixing through the post and into the block? The fence is some 60ft in length and i`ve got 10 posts to put up so I want to do as good a job as i can that will last a few years.
I can get THUNDERBOLTS at 10 x150mm but never used these before. Are they as solid as thrubolts? I dont want to use rawlbolts as these need a bigger dia hole and the posts are only 75 x 75mm.
Any comments please?

Sponsored Links
Breezer
By studding do you mean bolting through the post and block wall? This was my first thought but the other side of the wall is in my neighbours garden and he`s not keen on having the bolt heads showing.
As the wall is 100mm thick I can only drill something like 80mm or so into the wall without going through.I`ll try the first post with Thunderbolts 10 x 150 and see how I go.
Is the chemical method of fixing any more robust than bolts? I may give this a try if so.

Breezer
By studding do you mean bolting through the post and block wall?

yes.

I wonder could they be countersunk, but it depends on what type of brick the wall is, could always drill a larger hole from his side, just enugh to hide the nut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back