Builders snagging list

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Just a quick query for ya. My girlfriend and I bought a newbuild in June 2007, we have 2 years to get the snagging list sorted for the builders, so I thought after 12 months (long enough for any defects to occur) I'd hand a list to the builders. Now, how long (legally) have they got till they have to respond, be it verbally, in writing or sending someone around to our home?

Al

Sponsored Links
In the commercial world, contractors have 12 months from "practical completion" to rectify defects. "practical completion" is a date accepted by the client as when the building was fit for use - it can all get very complicated. Normally a defects list would be attached to the certificate of practical completion - so you may have missed the boat. Latent (hidden) defects and besign faults can be raised for up to 12 years.

Holmslaw has it right with commercial projects; these usually come under something called JCT &, as he says, it can be a minefield; there is usually around 5% held back for 12 months or other agreed snagging period after practical completion.

I think with residential property, you’re more likely to come under the edit of NHBC. I have no idea what is in their contracts but if the builder is registered it might be worth a checking the guidelines they issue to members. If it’s not NHBC there will be an independent warranty of some sort, usually an indemnity provided by the Architect overseeing the building work.

As far as timescales go these may, again, be given in the guidelines but if not I would say reasonable periods would be:

• 10-14 days for an initial response confirming receipt of the snagging list
• Another 14 days for them to agree or negotiate with you as required
• A date within 3-6 months for the work to be completed & agreed by you

If it’s nothing major it could of course be much quicker but if there are major problems or you’re in disagreement it could take much longer, possibly years if you end up in dispute!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I went round with one of the building companies representative upon completion, nothing major found then. The contract states they give us another 2 years to fill in a defect sheet and pass it to them to deal with. In comparison to other houses on the estate, we have got anything major to worry about, just DG windows that don't close/seal correctly, crack in exterior render are to two worst things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back