Ceiling batons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to re-board the ceiling in my kitchen but need to baton first because I need some space to re-route a cable - Armoured SWA. (a gap between the old ceiling and the new one).
Can anyone suggest what type of wood I should use?
Also would it be a good idea to insulate behind the plasterboard. I.e. between the old ceiling and the new one?
Many thanks.
Chris

Sponsored Links
For the battens use 2x2, shop around for the regularised stuff or PAR.

If there's a bathroom/toilet above then some rockwool slabs would do no harm, for soundproofing* purposes. Keep away from any downlights/fitting/cables though.

* If you've ever been stood in a kitchen, about to tuck into a peanut butter and chocolate spread sandwich, before hearing plop plop from the bathroom above then you'll know what I mean.

Thats great, thanks Deluks. What is PAR? B+Q were selling some cheap stuff the other day which was PSE (Plane squared edge, I think!).

I'm not fussed about noise so I take it I wouldn't save any money on the heating bills by putting insluation in?

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
I'm not fussed about noise so I take it I wouldn't save any money on the heating bills by putting insluation in?

Only if you are worried about losing heat from the kitchen. Which I doubt you are, most people don't even have heating in their kitchens.

Thinking about it, why don't you just feed the armoured through the existing void between ceiling and the floor above, and then just overboard the existing ceiling? How thick is the cable anyway?

The cable isn't too thick but I can't disconnect it at either end so I can't feed it through the existing void.

The wood won't cost too much hopefully and I don't mind loosing 2" on the ceiling hight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back