knocking through to make kitchen diner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I live in a bungalow that has been extended upstairs. it has had the rear of the house extended up with a flat roof at the back.

i am planning to knock through and make a kitchen diner at the rear of the house. the wall is runs all the way to the roof and assume supprt the ceiling joists

i want to make an opening about 5-6 ft wide., woulld this require plans and building regs etc or can a builder just come and do the job. also, being skint, what would it roughly cost if they could come and support the wall with an rsj, then i would remove the rest

Sponsored Links
if it is above 1.8m (6ft) wide, then it is likely you will need calc's plus it falls under building reg's.

you could ask a builder to come and carry out all the carp work, but i've a feeling none will be impressed.

it is likely that whoever fits the steel will want to make sure the rest of the work is carried out satisfactoraly.

there is no point making a silk purse if someone later turns it into a sows' ear.

very true!!

know a lot about sows ears with some of the botch jobs been done in this house.

obviously wore the rose tinted glasses when we viewed. have spent the last 4 years cleaning up behind an alleged "master builder"!!

have a few mates in the trade, will give them the work.

cheers anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back