Replacing front door - is this a fair price??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping you can help. We are nearing the end of a large project and two of the final things are to

- replace the current upvc front door with a wooden one - hardwood frame, replace glass above the door, supply door (nothing too special, just two panels of glass in top half), supply chrome letterbox, 2 locks and fit it all

- in an existing archway between lounge and diner, put in a pair of bi-fold doors - so build the frame and fit furniture.

All painting to be done at a later date.

So, Ive had a quote of £950 for front door and £550 for the bi-folds. Feels like quite a lot for the front door, even at daft London prices- I am pretty sure he said that the door itself was £100.

Appreciate that there is a lot of work involved, but just wanted to get some advice.

Responses greatly apprecaited!

Sponsored Links
Take a walk round B&Q or similar, note cost of doors with frames.
Think how much you earn per day, think of the guys who will do the job, how long it will take, the cost of their tools and running a van, their living costs, they have families and how much that costs. So what is a fair price?
How much do you expect to make each week?

Thanks for your response, not quite what I was expecting, I was simply trying to get an idea of how much it costs because I have no idea how long it takes, what gadgets and tools are required, or indeed other materials i had not even considered.

I am not a carpenter and don't have the skills to asses it myself. At the time I had only had one quote, so needed some guidance as to whether it was about right.

In the past, I've found people very helpful in these forums at giving me an idea of how big a job things are and what price range was reasonable for lots of jobs.

Hence the reason why I was asking what is a fair price, considering what I wanted doing - not the cheapest price. So, thanks for replying, but not very helpful.

Will be sure to ask next trade to quote on a job how many children they have in order to see if they are charging me the right price!

I think you've answered your own question in your last response - obtain a few more quotes to gauge the market rate for your area.

The door may be £100 (cheap for decent external door), but once you've added the hinges, decent BS rated locks, letterbox, handles, hardwood frame, sill/weatherbar, fixings and sealant - you're looking at £300(ish).

That leaves £650 for fitting and waste removal of the door, and whatever work is required above the door. As you've supplied no pictures or diagrams, and as I've no idea on the local day rate - I cannot comment on that aspect of the quote.

Its always best to obtain a few quotes, and try to use tradesmen recommended by friends.

The above is only a guide, and if you read the forum rules - it does state something about not asking for quotes - as its impossible to give accurate feedback without first seeing the job in question.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I've now done a bit of research, didn't realise how much the locks cost, and then of course the time to fit them, not to mention all the other bits you listed which I hadn't considered!

The chap who quoted is free to start asap too so, having now had one more quote, he's got the job!

I did check the forum rules on this before i posted, because I thought the same thing as you, but I think the rule is about asking people to actually quote to do work for you rather than giving their comments on a quote you've had.
Many thanks

Just make sure the locks are insurance rated BS3621:2004 - check the kitemark stamped on them. I'd also advise getting some hinge bolts added to strengthen the hinge side of the door - £20 for the materials, and half an hours labour max.

and if you haven't had it fitted yet, put the letterbox as far away from the nightlatch as you can, since it is possible to put a simple home-made tool through and manipulate the knob.

I've put mine beside the door, to the hinge side, to make this much more difficult

Can I ask if you need FENSA approval for this, or Part L Building Regs?

I am about to have a door fitted, but am unsure if it needs to comply with the Regs unless there is a a certain % glass in the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back