Want to replace blown down panel with a hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, moved into my flat last year, as you expect things went wrong stragiht away, plumbing blow up then wiring lol, having sorted that the fence panel at front feel down, i want to grow a hedge but want to know how deep the soil must be to grow it the hedge as it mainly looks like some sand and concrete, how deep would i have to go to be able to have a 6 footish high bush, and also what would be a nice looking hedge and quick growing ont to grow

Sponsored Links
no idea what so ever, BUT bear in mind anything quick growing will not "stop" when you want it to.
I have russian vine it is very fast growing (its also called mile a minute for a good reason) but its downside is, it does need trimming every week.

breezer thanks, i was looking at an evergreen but have found out that i will have to dig a trench 20inches deep and 18inches wide, so i have a lot of pebbles and sand and contrete to move, when would be the best time to plant a hedge, i want somthing that will be at 6foot within 2-3 years, thanks

Sponsored Links
you need to keep in mind the hedge needs to be planted around 18" away from the boundery and will take up around 3 ft/1m off your garden!!

Thanks big-all, i am looking for the hedge to at some point grow over the back of the drive way which at the moment looks a mess so this will tidy it up i hope, i will have to move some conrete slabs and dig for the dirt but i will do as you have said and keep 18" away from the fence and drive way, i will have to grow something as i made the mistake the other night of coming home ****ed turning the telly on and watched ideal world and bought a mowerland multi cutter with chain saw trimmer and blade cutter lol, last time i get drunk and watch telly

..............and will take up around 3 ft/1m off your garden!!

That is a very good point.

when we moved here there was an attempt of a hedge on both sides, no idea what it was but it was sharp and ugly. interestingly it was so interwoven when i sawed through all the "bases" it stayed upright untill i cut through the last one, then it all fell over at the same time.

but yes it does make the garden bigger without.

I thinkk i would consider a fence installed properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back