Slate roof with no felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When checking in the loft of a house I was considering buying, I noticed that the slate roof is laid directly onto the wooden battens. There is no roofing felt or solid boards used. Can anyone give me a few pointers as to whether this might cause me any problems further down the road?

I couldn't see any evidence of water ingress and after a few searches on here and google it sounds like felt isn't strictly necessary but is advised? I couldn't find anything definitive.

Many thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
Some further info in case it helps:

The house is a 1930's (ish) semi.

This is not uncommon and if the roof is in good shape really no big deal.
Obviously it's nice to have a decent underlay .
As it's a 1930 building i'd make sure it's roof is natural slate and not asbestos slate, which is a problem... post a photo let's have a look...

Sadly I wouldn't be able to easily get a photo. Thankyou for setting my mind at rest about the underlay question. If I actually buy the place I'll get the Asbestos question checked.

Are there any remedial works I should consider to a roof like this one?

Thanks again for the help so far :)

Sponsored Links
the only real downside is if you wish to use the loft as light storage.

posh linen sheets would be a no-no as they would be filthy in no time.

tarred building paper could be tacked to the rafter underside but i don't personally condone this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back