purlins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to do a loft conversion the inner purlins are not the same distance from the ridge and one is lower than the other this will cause a problem with head height .The purlins are also in three sections each one about 12 feet in length and propped on the joints.I would like to change them while the tiles are off the roof . The joints on the new purlins will be moved to new locations over internal walls the maximum span will be 17 feet which is the best type of beam to use steel/wood or glulam

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Guys would it be possible to do with the roof in place if i don't change the tiles

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Guys would it be possible to do with the roof in place if i don't change the tiles

possibly yes.

access is the obvious consideration, though with a bit if wrestling steel can be fed in from a gable or hip end.

if there is any sag in the current rafters then it may be a bit tricky getting the new purlin to take this sag up. jacking can be a little dangerous.

do you have room to feed the new purlins in whilst the existing are still in place?

yes but as the roof needs replacing i think it will be better to do it with the roof off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back