Flat Leaking roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Have a semi-detached house with a garage that is attached to my house which in turn butts to the neighbours garage, this runs the whole length of the house with the back half now part of the kitchen, the front half still a garage.
We had been in the house a month when water started leaking in the kitchen so we had the whole roof replaced with 3 layers of felt etc.
It is now nearly two years on and the roof is still trouble, it seems that with prolonged rain water is finding its way into the garage and on sunday I found water coming from one of the spotlamps.
I have had the roofer back who has assured me the seals and laps are all good but suggested (months ago) that the water was getting in through behind the lead because the gable wall needed repointing. This was done two months ago but I still have the leaks. Part of the roof (the garage) pools because the water and the main roof water run into a downpipe through the garage and I am going to reroute the main roof water away from this pipe but believe not matter how much water is up teir the roof should be water tight. (and this wasnt a problem with the old roof)
Any help most appreciated
Thanks Stuart

Sponsored Links
Try,

www.liquidplastics.co.uk

If you cant find what you are looing for then try giving them a call and they will point you in the right direction instantly!

Hi all,
I manage several high-rise blocks with flat roofs
We had been managing these for 15 years when water started leaking in the rooms below so we had the whole roof replaced with a liquid plastic system etc.
It is now nearly three years on and the roof is still trouble, it seems that with prolonged rain, water is finding its way into the flats below
I have had the company back 6 times who has assured me the coating is all good but suggested that the water was getting in through behind the lead at the parapet walls. This was done several times but I still have the leaks. All of the roof pools and the plastic has started to split at upstands, and where it goes into box gutters.

I have had to get other contractors to replace parts of the roof, but generally the liquid system is shyte

Any help most appreciated

Sponsored Links
I am not no rep i promise you.
I have just started laying LP Coatings.
Obviously no firm is going to have a 100% track record but ive never heard of any jobs going seriously wrong like yours has woody so i can only say that you must be an unlucky customer. As you know the LP system is guarenteed by Liquid Plastics themselves for 10-15-20 + 25 years and if anything goes wrong with the system itself then they are liable for replacement.
Further more if it was such a bad system then why would they have customers as big as, m&s, debenhams, tescos etc...

All im tryin to say if the jobs done right then there should not be a problem. Liquid plastics is a perfect water tight system, contact them and they will come to you and show you demonstrations of LP being done!

All of the roof pools and the plastic has started to split at upstands, and where it goes into box gutters.

I have had to get other contractors to replace parts of the roof, but generally the liquid system is shyte

Was it a cold roof system or warm roof?
Generally if the roof pools then the systems thickness hasn't been put on evenly, dus creating pool areas.
Also if the upstands and gutter areas are peeling back then either then it means they wasnt sealed properly. was they're PU Sealent on the tops of the upstands or was there termination bar placed above the LP??

I have just started laying LP Coatings.

You've a lot to learn ;)

Further more if it was such a bad system then why would they have customers as big as, m&s, debenhams, tescos etc...

Because their sales team are good. I have seen it fail first hand, i know its shortfalls. Its only the flame free element that sells it.

yeh i didnt mean i just started laying LP yesterday, im trying to help so there was no need to come out with comments like that.

I wont bother helping arrogant people who know too much of nothing.

With regards to my satirical reply, the cover has a 10 year warranty AFAIK, but the point I was making is that it just was not performing "as advertised" and it has caused no end of problems since.

Its not a solution, IMO

To the OP, water penetrating a wall will exit the wall below and not run down the roof.

It has to be getting in at a joint or split - check upstands and edge kerbs

Can you see the deck from the garage? It may help to narrow the source of the ingress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back