Differences in glazing for upvc frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate any comments about choosing Ultra N Low E glass over argon-filled Pilkington K glass for upvc double glazed windows. I would like to know if there is a significant benefit in choosing one over the other? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will notice no difference at all, and not even if you used a standard dg unit.

There may be a theoretical difference in heat loss which will be so small its hardly calculable

In fact you will not save the additional cost of the special glass/coating over that of a standard glazed unit, in terms of reduced heating bills over the life of the glass units (10 years)

Thank you Woody, your reply has opened up more choices for me now, I appreciate your getting back to me.

You would save around £2 per square metre of glazing per year.
Assuming:

10 windows at an average of 1.2m sq
A saving of £24/year

Premiums for soft coat glass over Pilks K are negligable in fact soft coat is
probably cheaper in most cases.
I have also assumed using argon gas (£3-£4 per unit)
Based on that after 2 years you've paid for the premium and are saving money :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thats a theoretical saving worked out at a desk with all things being equal ;)

In practice, in your home with so many variables such as open doors, open windows, open trickle vents, air leakage etc, you will not achieve such savings

THEORETICAL.... ;)
Of course it is, however all building performance data is theoretical.

I was just highlighting the 'potential' savings. :D

Thanks both for your input on this subject - as well as the energy value of the glass, the look of the glazing itself has raised a concern. Some large dg sealed units look almost 'fluid' or distorted with a purplish haze, and this worries me as some windows I wish to replace are fairly large. Why does this happen and the dg salesman selling the Ultra N Low E glass dg units is telling me it is typical of Argon filled Pilk K glass and vice versa and I just don't know what to believe anymore. I just want to be assured of choosing a non distorted looking clear glass. Thanks again. K

I was just hoping somebody might be able to shine a light on my last comment about glazing which looks distorted or coloured

Some glass panes will have some distortion in them when cast - there may be a proper name for this. This can be in large or small panes and just depends how the sheet was cut up after manufacture as to wharre it is in the pane.

As the glass is just for a window, it does not have to be optical quality.

Some coatings may also produce a colour tinge in certain light from certain direction, but it may be subjective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back