replacing block paving with slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to extend my existing patio area and change the current block paving for slabs (mixed sizes, random pattern).
The block paving appears to have been laid in the expected method - 50mm sand with hardcore below it (don't want to disturb too much unless I have to). I also want to extend the patio over what was old driveway, or at least ground that has been asphalted over and only ever had foot traffic in the last 10/15 years.

On the asphalted area, is it necessary to clear down 125mm to replace with 75mm hardcore and 50mm mortar under the slabs? The area will only ever have foot traffic, so I was hoping to clear down enough to allow for a 50mm mortar bed under the slabs.
On the existing patio area I was going to remove sand to get to the same level as the cleared driveway, and then continue with the 50mm mortar on top of the remaining sand/hardcore.

Is that the correct way to approach this :confused: ?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back